Mac and PC User Interface Differences
Wiki: TOC, VTOC, Home
Forum: Home, General
Keyboard Shortcuts For Mac
Keyboard Shortcuts For Windows
Logos for Mac
Mac Release Notes and History
Logos for Mac and Logos for PC share code base – most items function identically on both platforms (including right and left mouse click options in File, Guides, and Layouts menus). Primary User Interface differences are Screen layout and icon colors.
Default File Paths
||Library Path (per user) (substitute your user name for username)
|Mac OS X
|Windows 7/8 & Vista
||– New Logos 5 install
|Windows 7/8 & Vista
||C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4
Not yet Fixed – Logos 5 and 4
- PC Notes can indent lines of text, while Mac can only indent within a list
- PC Program launch typically opens to usable Window size, while Mac may open to a shrunken size
- PC Resource Table of Contents (ToC) cannot be scrolled using arrow keys, but Mac can click in ToC so arrow keys no longer scroll resource text – Logos 4.5b regression
- PC Syntax Search has blue arrow to confirm menu choice, while Mac needs to use return key after clicking menu choice
- PC middle mouse click on Search or Library opens in a new tab, but Mac does not, workaround is right click, then click “Open in a New Tab”
- PC pop-ups disappear, but Mac has lingering pop-ups, which can appear in front of other applications
- PC Bible Search can scroll verse results using arrow keys while Mac cannot
- PC Collections list drop down shows 14 while Mac list has 12 collections
- PC Collections tiled view shows complete title while Mac truncates long titles
- PC Passage List Print/Export has Font Slider plus handles longer passages correctly while Mac has text flow issue across pages
- PC Home Page font size can be changed using Program Scaling while Mac font size lacks scaling option
- PC Parallel Resources has orange indicator for current resource,which is missing on Mac that is fixed in Logos 5.1 Beta 5
- PC Resource Support Info can be copied, while Mac’s cannot
- PC Passage Lists can be copied, while Mac has some bugs
- PC Text Comparison in Hebrew displays correctly, while Mac displays some verses with smaller font
- PC Bible Sense Lexicon displays correctly, while Mac displays first entry with smaller font and other entries with bold weirdness that is fixed in Logos 5.1 Beta 5
- PC Syriac ligature connected correctly, but Mac displays Syriac text as independent letters. Mac final forms are disconnected Logos User Voice suggestion => Connect Syriac Ligature on Mac
- Logos: Text display is a function of the operating system, not Logos. Some ancient scripts have errors on certain platforms. We plan to implement our own low-level text shaping / rendering in a future release of Logos Bible Software, to ensure consistency across all platforms, but until then will be unable to address text shaping bugs at the OS level.
- PC Notes can automatically hyperlink scripture in notes while hyperlink can be manually added on Mac, Logos 5.1 Beta 5 implemented automatic hyperlink detection
- Logos: We presently use operating system controls for rich text editing on each platform. The functionality is not the same on each, and we are unable to hook in at a low level to enable all the desired features on the Mac platform. Our long term plan is to replace the OS provided rich text editor with our own component, but until then we are unlikely to be able to advance the text editing features beyond their current state.
- PC Notes performance for typing is better than Mac
- Logos: We are concerned with note editing performance on both platforms. Our long term plan is to replace the OS provided rich text editor with our own component, but until then we are unlikely to be able to advance the performance beyond their current state.
- PC Text Comparison can select and copy individual verses, but Mac needs workaround using Print/Export
- Logos: The Windows edition gets text selection “for free” from the system-level control used to display the comparison grid. On the Mac we have to render the grid directly; there’s no “free” support for text selection. This would be very expensive to write, and our future plans involve an alternate display path that will again give us “free” selection support from the platform. We are unlikely to fix this until we make this more fundamental change.
- PC Command can import Libronix 3 file(s) while Mac import has lots of leaking memory errors
- Logos: Importing old documents isn’t officially supported on Mac. However, we will look into the memory leaks for Sentence Diagram importing in a future release.
- PC Library indexing is substantially faster than Mac – Logos 4.5 regression
- Logos: We are constantly investigating options to improve performance of indexing on both platforms. For Mac in particular we have some internal prototypes that have shown significant improvements. Once these have been thoroughly tested and stabilized we hope to ship the improvements in a future release.
- PC Stereoscopic images have 3D menu that is missing on Mac
- Logos: We hope to implement this in a future release.
- PC Timelines has styles menu to change timeline appearance, not yet implemented on Mac
- Logos: We are investigating options for unifying the Mac and Windows timeline layout logic which will give us the ability to share skins on both platforms for timelines.
Logos User Voice suggestion => Improve Mac Feature Parity with PC
|Mac Library in A Floating Window with Type column clicked using Logos 4.2a on Mac
|PC Library in A Floating Window with Type column clicked
Many PC shortcuts that use Ctrl key have corresponding Command key equivalent on Mac
On Mac, if “Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard keys” in Keyboard preferences is unchecked, then (fn) key needs to be pressed with Function Key.
- On Mac, logging was always enabled until Logos 4.3 Beta 5, see Mac diagnostic logging - opening log file defaults to scrolling contents as more line(s) written to log file
- On PC, when diagnostic logging needed, must be enabled
||Complete Log Path (substitute your user name for username)
||Quick Access Path
|Mac OS X
|Windows 7 & Vista
||C:\Users\username\My Documents\Logos Log Files
||(My) Documents\Logos Log Files
||C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Logos Log Files
||My Documents\Logos Log Files
Mac shows Morphology Pop-up in lower left grey border of window (when hovering over an item). On PC, Morphology Pop-up is displayed along bottom of panel.
|Logos 4.2a Mac
||Logos 4.2a PC
|Mac – click Logos icon jumping on dock then click OK
||PC – logos icon on task bar – click icon then click Restart
Logos has many Right Click (contextual) items. PC mice and trackpads typically have left and right mouse buttons. Mac OS X can use many USB mice and trackballs. Apple’s Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad use finger gestures. Magic Prefs offers more Mac “Magic” + Trackpad configuration options.
Mac Right Click options:
- Use mouse or trackball right click
- While pressing Control key, Click (or tap track pad), then release Control key.
- On a Trackpad, can right-click with two fingers or configure a right-click area.
Search – Handouts
Handouts have (future revamp planned)
|Mac search finds Handout – not displayed
||PC search finds and shows Handout
Many items inside PC window located on Mac Menu Bar on top of screen: File, Guides, Tools, Layouts, Help