Wiki: TOC, VTOC, Home
Forum: Home, General
Metadata correction proposals – Addressed by Logos
Books Missing Pagination & Other Indexes
Logos 4 Bugs
Title Capitalization Errors
Individual Resources or groups of resources
Suggested Changes to Logos Standards
Note: when Logos addresses a reported error, it will be moved here.
- running a search on Œhypocrite¹ and found the following: ³Search ALL TEXT in NIV ³APPLICTION² instead of ³Application²
- Please add common abbreviations in parenthesis after publisher names (JPS, PBI...). This simplifies library filtering and collection rules considerably.
- 131 Christians Everyone Should Know - includes headword index so type should be Encyclopedia, not Monograph
- An Advanced Learner’s Arabic-English Dictionary - Lexicon or Dictionary?
- The Collected Writings Of W.E. Vine commentary section, should be type:commentary
- Dictionnaire biblique pour tous should be type “Encylopedia” not “Dictionary”
- An Elementary Latin Dictionary - type should be Lexicon, not Dictionary
- Hunger No More: A 1-Year Devotional Journey Through the Psalms (Vyrso) – type should be Calendar Devotional
- Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount and His Confrontation with the World should be type “Bible Commentary” and have a Bible index
- The Life of Christ: A Study Guide to the Gospel Record - TYPE should not be “Bible Commentary” as it is a “Study Guide”.
- The Messages of the Bible series should all be type:bible-commentary and have Bible indexes. Currently only the volume on the Gospel of John is set up that way.
- The Political Paul by Bruno Blumenfeld (JSNTS series, London; New York: T&T Clark, 2003). – TYPE should not be “Bible Commentary”.
- Searching for Heaven on Earth (2 x D. Jeremiah) - Please reconsider that these titles are not Commentaries due to layout and approach. Note that one is titled as a ‘Study Guide’.
- The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia - includes headword index so Type should be Encyclopedia, not Monograph
- The Complete Works of Thomas Manton, Volume 4 - is a Bible commentary (on James), not monograph
- The Complete Works of Thomas Manton, Volume 5 - is a Bible commentary (on Jude), not monograph
Title Capitalization Errors
- Seek that Which Is above: Meditations through the Year
- Warrior Poet: Before David Was King - missing title capitalization in the Citation
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to change a book’s cover image once it has been published. The cover image visible in the info pane is embedded in the files, and cannot be replaced without creating new resource files. However, please keep telling us when you find cover images that are missing or incorrect! I promise you we are keeping this list, and are swapping out cover images when we can! ~HP
- Archaeology Odyssey - missing covers, despite them being in the resource
- Bible and Spade - missing covers, despite them being in the resource
- Bible Review - missing covers, despite them being in the resource
- Biblical Archaeologist missing covers, despite them being in the resource
- Biblical Archaeology Review is missing covers, despite them being in the resource
- A Commentary on the Vision of Zechariah the Prophet: Bible Text - a newsly published resource
- Discipleship Journal - missing covers, despite them being in the resource
- Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology - cover image should be changed to the official one used on the product description page
- Handbook of Evangelical Theologians - cover image doesn’t match what’s on the website
- Hermeneia - the two volumes from Upgrade 2 (1 Enoch 2, Psalms 3) have cover images of a different size than the other volumes. The product page seems to indicate they should be the same size.
- The History of the English Baptists has cover images that prominently say 1811-1830 on them. This makes no sense as that’s not the period the books cover (which is about 1320-1663), nor the period during which the books were published (which was 1738-1740).
- History of Israel by John Bright needs to have cover art corrected (see ] for correct one; it is using this thumbnail version: ], which is also showing up on the website)
- Luther’s Small Catechism with Explanation by CPH – missing cover image
- MacArthur’s New Testament Commentary series needs consistent cover images
- The Marrow of Modern Divinity - correct format on the product page, wrong format in the resource
- Memoirs of the Life and Writings of John Calvin Description and cover are for a book of the same name by a different author. (Author should be Mackenzie)
- The Minor Prophets by Hampton Keathley – missing cover image
- Studies in Revelation by J. Hampton Keathley, III – missing cover image
Individual Resources or groups of resources
- Apostolic Fathers - all versions need the original authors added to the Author column, like the ECF now have
- The Apologies of Justin Martyr, to which is Appended the Epistle to Diognetus needs Greek added to Language
- The Art of Caregiving author should be Michael S. Barry; currently it’s just “Barry”
- Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia : SESB 2.0 Version - BHSSESB and BHSSESB2 have exactly identical metadata. Extremely confusing!
- Christological Greek Grammar: The Person and Work of Christ in Titus and Philippians - the About section twice says ‘Hebrew’ instead of ‘Greek’
- Clement of Alexandria - missing author Clement of Alexandria (and perhaps some editors as well?)
- Early Travels in Palestine - This is essentially a collection of medieval travel accounts. The included works should be named in the info panel, and the original authors should be named in the Author column.
- An Exegetical Summary of Philippians - 1st edition is missing series name
- The First Advance - according to the info panel this book belongs to the ‘new’ SPCK International Study Guide series that was just added
- Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners - incorrect publication date (both editions)
- Hard Question about Christianity Made Easy - should be “Hard Questions ... ” (plural)
- Introduction to the History of Christianity, with CD-ROM and Study Guide for Introduction to the History of Christianity, with CD-ROM - remove “with CD-ROM” from titles as these are download-only products now
- Josh McDowell’s Unshakable Truth Journey Growth Guides for Adults, hyphen inconsistencies in the titles (Inspired, Created, and Broken all have single hyphen with spaces around it; Forgiven has single hyphen with no spaces around it; Sacrifice, Growing, and Resurrected all have — (em dash) with no spaces around it); not a big deal for functionality but looks sloppy when these titles are grouped together in library)
- Lake’s Apostolic Fathers - missing series tag
- Lange’s Commentary (series) – publisher is listed as Logos, date 2008; but the series this Logos edition was made from was apparently published in New York by Bible House in 1868 and 1869 (see prefaces by the general editor, Philip Schaff, in the Genesis volume, Proverbs, and 1 & 2 Thessalonians); more research into the print edition on Logos’s shelves might be needed to get the date correct for each volume.
- Lexham Septuagints - Rahlfs and Swete should be added to the author column for the versions based on their editions
- Lexicons with a Language other than English - remove from Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon, Abridged BDB
- The Loeb Classical Library - very inconsistent author column. At least the original author and the translator should always be present. Perhaps editors as well?
- Old Testament Greek Pseudipigrapha with Morphology needs Greek added to Language
- Perseus Resources - some resources have pubdate: not following the usual convention of giving a four-digit year but give other date formats, this defies sort or select operations
- Perseus Resources - some resources have empty pubdate: field
- Pirke Avot: Timeless Wisdom for Modern Life: Hebrew Text needs Hebrew added to Language
- Tanakh (two editions) – the titles should be the same on logos.com and in the metadata, see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73657.aspx
- Treasury of Scripture Knowledge - only authors’ last names are given; but their full names are John Canne, John Browne, Benjamin Blayney, Thomas Scott (see http://bit.ly/GRsUsY)
- Wisdom Literature - missing series name (Eerdmans Commentaries on the Dead Sea Scrolls (ECDSS)). Missing on product page as well. Other volume on prepub.
- Works of John Owen: Volume 17 - language should be “Latin; English” not just Latin; the sermons and discourses are in English
- Yearbook of American & Canadian Churches 2012 - one of the authors is listed as “Usa, National” :-) There is no such person. Probably comes from “Prepared and edited for the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.”
- E. A. Abbott == Edwin A. Abbott
- Ronald B. Allen == Ronald Barclay Allen?
- Thabiti Anyabwile == Thabiti M. Anyabwile? (possibly a moot point; see above re: Glory Road)
- J. Barton == John Barton?
- Raymond Brown == Raymond Edward Brown? (also the names of the two collections of his books refer to him as Raymond E. Brown)
- T. A. Buckley == Theodore Alois Buckley?
- Cicero == M. Tullius Cicero
- Arnold Dallimore == Arnold A. Dallimore?
- Wayne Grudem == Wayne A. Grudem (seems to be Logos vs. Vyrso with/without A.)
- Raphael Holinshed == Raphaell Holinshed (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/74373.aspx )
- Jerome == Jerome, Saint == Saint Jerome
- à Lapide, Cornelius == should be sorted on L, not C
- Peter Leithart == Peter J. Leithart?
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones == Martyn Lloyd-Jones
- Myron Penner == Myron Bradley Penner?
- William Riley == William B. Riley?
- Stuart Sacks == Stuart D. Sacks?
- Philip Sidney == Sir Philip Sidney?
- Gordon Smith == Gordon T. Smith
- Derek Thomas == Derek W. H. Thomas?
- C. Scribner == Charles Scribner & Co. == Charles Scribner’s Sons?
- E. Dilly == Edward and Charles Dilly?
- G. Bell == George Bell and Sons?
- Ignatius - should be Ignatius Press (change needed on website as well)
- P. J. Kenedy == P. J. Kenedy & Sons?
- Robert Carter == Robert Carter & Brothers?
- Simpkin Marshall == Simpkin, Marshall, and Co.?
- William Hunt == William Hunt and Company?
- The problem of inconsistencies between footnote citations and general bibliographic citations should now be resolved. Please let us know if you’re still seeing instances of this.
- Aggada == Haggadah == Haggadot
- Church fathers == Fathers of the church
For background to the changes suggested for Commentaries see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73354.aspx.
- El Antiguo Testamento: Un Comentario Sobre Su Historia y Literatura should have subjects for each book of the Bible covered.
- Apologia Pro Vita Sua - subjects should be in English, not part French
- Bible History:Old Testament - “O.T.—Historical” is incorrect for this commentary. Its Subject should cover the bible books it contains as it doesn’t reflect all the books of the OT.
- Cosmic Battle and Political Conflict: Studies in Verbal Syntax and Contextual Interpretation of Daniel 8 should include Bible. O.T.Daniel—Commentaries in subject list
- Ecclesiastical Dictionary: Containing, in Concise Form, Information upon Ecclesiastical, Biblical, Archæological, and Historical Subjects - subjects should be in English, not part French
- Ecclesiates by Thomas H. Leale should not have Bible. O.T.Song of Solomon—Commentaries in subject list
- Escape the Coming Night - remove “Bible. N.T. Revelation” as this is a monograph. Replace with “Book of Revelation” as in God, Order, and Chaos (Finamore).
- An Exposition on Prayer in the Bible should have subjects for each book of the Bible covered per volume.
- Keyword Learning System - remove O.T. & N.T. as the title covers the whole bible.
- The Lectionary Commentary should list all the bible books that it covers.
- Letters from John: A Study Guide to I, II and III John by Mills, M. S. should not have Bible—Commentaries in subject list
- The Life of Christ: A Study Guide to the Gospel Record - remove N.T.—English and list the bible books that it covers.
- On the Admirability of the Virgin Theotokos from the Words of the Vision: ‘A great sign appeared’ (Latin Text) - subject should be ‘Sermons, Latin’, not ‘Sermons, English’
- Passover: The Key that Unlocks the Book of Revelation - add “Book of Revelation” and remove existing Subjects.
- Philo and Holy Scriptures (2 Vols) – replace O.T.—Quotations with O.T.—Commentaries
- Preaching in the Russian Church or Lectures and Sermons by a Priest of the Holy Orthodox Church - subjects should be all English, not part transliterated Russian
- The Private Ministry of Christ should list the bible books that it covers.
- The Russian Church: Lectures on its History, Constitution, Doctrine, and Ceremonial - subjects should be in English, not German
- Saint Columba: Apostle of Caledonia - subject lists wrong saint (and wrong year of death for the listed saint)
- The Second Coming of Christ (Larkin) – add “eschatology”
- The Septuagint Version of the Old Testament:English (Brenton) – should have Greek in Subject and not English as per other English translations of LXX.
- Summarized Bible series (2 volumes) – replace Handbooks, manuals, etc. with Commentaries
- A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament should have Bible.N.T.—Commentaries in subject list, and should not have Bible.N.T.—Criticism.
- The Whole Works of the Rev. John Lightfoot - Vol 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 should have subjects for each book of the Bible covered per volume.
- Word Pictures in the New Testament should have Bible.N.T.—Commentaries in subject list, and should not have Bible—Commentaries and Bible.N.T.—Criticism.
- The Works of Thomas Goodwin - Vol I and II should have Bible N.T.Ephesians—Commentaries; Vol III should have Bible N.T.Revelation—Commentaries
Commentaries with “bible—handbooks”, “bible—outlines”, “bible—antiquities”, “bible—introductions”, “bible—criticism” should instead list the bible books they contain or state “Bible—Commentaries” if their coverage is complete. NOTE they can be identified by type:commentary ANDNOT subject:(O.T., N.T., Commentaries)
Grammars with O.T. or N.T. e.g. A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar, Greek New Testament Insert, Hebrew Bible Insert -> please remove as per other Grammars.
Lexicons with O.T. or N.T. -> please apply as per commentaries/bibles e.g. O.T. is useful with a Greek lexicon of the Septuagint but don’t apply to lexicons with full coverage.
Any Resource with “Criticism” in the subject. I do not think this is relevant to the majority of resources, especially commentaries. Probably only applies to Bible Apparatus (“textual criticism”) and some Monographs.
Suggested Changes to Logos Standards
Commentaries and Bible Notes Types: Logos’ use of these types is primarily functional rather than descriptive. The Commentary type is broadly defined to include many different kinds of resources that are indexed by Bible verse, while the Bible Notes type is used exclusively for the notes from a Bible (usually study Bible notes). Some users would like to see a more restrictive definition of the Commentary type that would exclude things like:
- Bible History: Old Testament, Encountering the Book of Romans: A Theological Survey, Holman Bible Handbook, New Manners and Customs of the Bible, Searching for Heaven on Earth (2 x D. Jeremiah), A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, Word Pictures in the NT, Word Studies in the NT, Wuest’s Word Studies in the Greek NT, Holman Concise Bible Commentary, With the Word Bible Commentary, anything with “Study Bible/Guide”, “Studies”, or “Bible Handbook” in its title.